freetds - Re: [freetds] stable freetds release

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] stable freetds release
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:33:00 -0500

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:18:39 +0000
"Bower, Wayne (Wayne)" <Wayne.Bower AT lsi.com> wrote:

> It looks like the "Stable Release" link on the home page is the
> freetds-stable.tgz dating back to 08/17/2011 in ftp. Is there a
> description of what "Stable Release" means and why the version dating
> back to 2011 is considered the latest stable release when the ftp
> stable directory includes many newer versions? Are these equally
> stable?

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:45:10 +0000
Sergio NNX <sfhacker AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> I had the same problem/conflict a few weeks ago! I just sort all the
> files by date and get the lastest one. However, sometimes prior
> versions have latest dates! We need some clarifications here.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will look into it as
soon as I get a chance.

A new "release" tarball is generated once a day if any change was made
to the release branch. It's done automatically so that small
corrections to the release are made available without delay.

It looks like since the switch to git things got rather out of hand. I
will reorganize the stable directory to make it comprehensible.

Regarding dates-vs-versions, remember that it's not a decimal system:
91.99.3 comes before 91.101.3. If you apply that logic, you should see
that bigger numbers always come later, except maybe during the
transition to the new VCS.

I hope that answers any questions. Stay tuned for further updates as
events warrant.