freetds - Re: [freetds] Freetds with mssql domain authentication error - login packet rejected

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Freetds with mssql domain authentication error - login packet rejected
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:07:52 -0400

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:36:50 +0530
Ganesh Ranganathan <ganesh.ranganathan.85 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using Freetds with unixODBC to connect to a remote SQL server
> instance from linux. The linux server has AD integration and I used
> my domain login to ssh into the server.
> Below is the debug log
>
> *net.c:1370:handshake succeeded!!
> gssapi.c:215:kerberos name MSSQLSvc/<server Name>
> login.c:466:login packet rejected
> util.c:156:Changed query state from IDLE to DEAD
> util.c:331:tdserror(0x2139160, 0x2139400, 20002, 0)
> util.c:361:tdserror: client library returned TDS_INT_CANCEL(2)
> util.c:384:tdserror: returning TDS_INT_CANCEL(2)*

The little experience I have with AD integration taught me that
problems are hard to isolate. There's no equivalent to "ping" to
verify authentication is working independent of a connecting
application.

I would check that the ssh application is linked to the same kerberos
library that FreeTDS is. If your security folks have decided on a
particular implementation for AD integration, it's possible to get
something that links and runs, but authenticates against something
other than AD.

HTH.