freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql connection attempt returns Message 20000 "No error"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql connection attempt returns Message 20000 "No error"
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 16:11:56 -0400

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:42:35 +0000
"Gulati, Samveen" <Samveen.Gulati AT savvis.com> wrote:

> there is no internal documentation on the Sybase server version, and
> I don't have access to the DB. I only have the host, port, db and
> credentials. This connection attempt is to debug perl-DBD-Sybase
> (using FreeTDS) connectivity.
>
> On trying connecting to the server, I get:
>
> [tools@lookingglass src]$ tsql -H sl7ncappdv12.savvis.lab -p 4100 -U
> netcool -P netcool locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
> locale charset is "UTF-8"
> using default charset "UTF-8"
> Msg 20000 (severity 0, state 0) from COL_P_1:
> "No error"
> Error 20002 (severity 9):
> Adaptive Server connection failed
> There was a problem connecting to the server

You connect and log in, but the server responds with a user-defined
error message 20000 ("No Error") and then disconnects. i'm not sure
if that's a message without an error or an error without a message.

Since you know it's Sybase, you might try TDS 5.0. Perhaps maybe it
could be the server might be configured to reject 4.2 connections, or
treats them oddly. It's been over a decade (two?) since Sybase made a
4.2 server.

Otherwise I'd contact my sysadmin and ask what the significance of
message 20000 is.

HTH.