freetds - Re: [freetds] dbi:ODBC:DSN=... odbc.ini UID and PWD ignored ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: TJ <freetds AT iam.tj>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] dbi:ODBC:DSN=... odbc.ini UID and PWD ignored ?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 17:40:19 +0100

On 19/04/13 16:41, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> 2013/4/19 TJ <freetds AT iam.tj>
>
>> On Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 I'm seeing a failure to authenticate to an MS
>> SQL Server when UID and PWD are included from the DSN stanza in odbc.ini.
>> When they are added to the connection string the
>> connection is successful.
>>
>> Table 4.1 of "Connection attributes" says "The following table defines all
>> possible ODBC connection attributes for the FreeTDS ODBC driver. Which ones
>> you'll need depends on how you set yourself up.
>>

> At http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm 4.1 table state
> exactly that UID/PWD are not used from odbc.ini (only connection string).

At http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm

it says: "The following table defines all possible ODBC connection attributes
for the FreeTDS ODBC driver. Which ones you'll need depends on how you set
yourself up. They may appear in your connection
string, or in odbc.ini."

The "following table" is Table 4-1, which lists DSN, UID, PWD and WSID.

I suggest that preamble is re-written thus:

"The following tables define all possible ODBC connection attributes for the
FreeTDS ODBC driver. Table 4-1 names (keys) may only be used in the
connection string (not odbc.ini). Table 4-2 names may
be used in both the connection string and odbc.ini."

What is the recommended solution for system DSNs where policy dictates that
application code should not have access to the username and password of the
connection?