freetds - [freetds] FreeBCP to SQL Azure complains table is missing?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cade Roux <cade AT roux.org>
  • To: FreeTDS AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeBCP to SQL Azure complains table is missing?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:16:59 -0600

Of course SQL Azure only lets you connect to one database, so I think
there is some sort of confusion here.

Has anyone used FreeBCP to connect to SQL Azure?

$ freebcp DWSTAGE.BCPTEST in bcptest.txt -f cdr.fmt -S
serverfromfreetds -U user@azureserver -P password
Msg 208, Level 16, State 1
Server 'azureserver', Line 1
Invalid object name 'DWSTAGE.BCPTEST'.
Msg 208, Level 16
General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL Server

Msg 20064, Level 2
Attempt to use Bulk Copy with a non-existent Server table

$ freebcp DATABASENAME.DWSTAGE.BCPTEST in bcptest.txt -f cdr.fmt -S
serverfromfreetds -U user@azureserver -P password
Msg 40515, Level 15, State 1
Server 'azureserver', Line 16
Reference to database and/or server name in
'DATABASENAME.DWSTAGE.BCPTEST' is not supported in this version of SQL
Server.
Msg 40515, Level 15
General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL Server

Msg 20064, Level 2
Attempt to use Bulk Copy with a non-existent Server table

I've also tried adding the database to the command line with the -D
option. The default database for that connection is set up as this one
and only Azure database in the freetds.conf.

The connection to SQL Azure seems fine otherwise - I just can't get
FreeBCP to work:

$ isql serverfromfreetds user@azuredatabasename password
| Connected! |
| |
| sql-statement |
| help [tablename] |
| quit |
| |
SQL> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DWSTAGE.BCPTEST;
+------------+
| |
+------------+
| 0 |
+------------+
SQLRowCount returns 1
1 rows fetched
SQL> SELECT COUNT(*) FROM DWSTAGE.BCPTESTX;
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLExecute
SQL>

This seems like some database/schema confusion, but I can't find a
combination of settings which works.

Cade Roux
cade AT roux.org
504-717-4887