freetds - Re: [freetds] server realm configuration for ODBC

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] server realm configuration for ODBC
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:28:34 -0500

Hi Mike,

> There is interest in adapting Java/JDBC to use FreeTDS' ODBC driver.

No objection here, of course, but would you mind explaining why? I
would have thought all-java would be preferred.

> How can the FreeTDS ODBC driver include the realm so that Kerberos
> authentication between realms with transitive trust will work using
> FreeTDS' ODBC driver?

In case it helps, tsql, bsqldb, and bsqlodbc all work just fine with
Kerberos. I used bsqldb routinely that way until recently.

But I might be missing something. AIUI transitive trust is a property
of the ticket, not the connection. Do those utilities not work in your
environment and, if so, is it a matter of how they use the API, or of
how your environment is set up?