freetds - Re: [freetds] 2008 Data Types For DBLIB

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ken Collins <ken AT metaskills.net>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 2008 Data Types For DBLIB
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 19:41:21 -0400

On Jul 28, 2011, at 5:06 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:

>> Does anyone think they will be needing or working on supporting these
>> data types [date], [datetime2], [datetimeoffset], and [time] using
>> DBLIB? Right now they come back to me as SYBTEXT
>
> Needing, yes, working on, no.
>
> It's not a db-lib issue. It's a protocol issue: unless the client
> defines itself as using TDS 7.3, the server returns those types as
> varchar strings. The client never sees tbem in binary form.
> See my message of 11 May 2011, "What's new list in FreeTDS 0.91 and
> 0.92".

That's fine. I can parse the strings and do something meaningful for the time
being, but I can not find a way to get the column type. For instance, the
dbprtype() just returns "char" for these columns and dbcolutype() just
returns 0/null. Any work arounds for a DBLIB interface to get something back
like "datetime2" for the column name or something that let's me switch and
parse the varchar string?

- Ken