freetds - Re: [freetds] How do I test connectivity?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Kirsop <james.kirsop AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How do I test connectivity?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:47:13 +1100

On 11/01/2011, at 9:51 AM, Scott Baker wrote:

I'm using freetds + PHP to connect to a MSSQL server. I think I have everything right, but I'm not sure. How do I use tsql to connect to a given ip/port with a username/password?

tsql -H 10.1.1.5 -p 1433 -U username -P password

Doesn't seem to work? I must be missing something obvious?

Scott,
That looks OK - are you getting any error messages?

I'm using the same command string (different host though) and getting the following:
[root@localhost ~]# tsql -H 1.1.6.155 -p 1433 -U username -P pass
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
Msg 20017, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unexpected EOF from the server
Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

However, I can connect via isql. I'm expecting that the fact I can't connect using tsql is what's causing me problems I'm having with PHP not connecting.

Regards,
James