freetds - Re: [freetds] MARS_Connection ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] MARS_Connection ?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 14:53:17 +0100

Il giorno gio, 30/12/2010 alle 23.18 -0500, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> Rafael Kitover wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if there are plans to support MARS in FreeTDS, or if it
> > already exists and I'm doing something wrong.
> >
> > I'm using tds version 8.0, and in this configuration MARS_Connection
> > does not work.
>
> http://www.freetds.org/faq.html#What.features.are.missing
>
> I added this to the FAQ tonight because of your question. Freddy has
> expressed a desire to implement MARS. I doubt the wisdom of *using* it,
> much less imlementing it. No one else has indicated any interest in
> developing the feature.
>
> No, MARS is not implemented by FreeTDS.

As usual... I have a patch (currently 2)!... but:
- works only on Unix
- not that tested
- useless (works only with one active connection)
- too young and not that tested :)

Looking at FAQ... it "seems" quite outdated
- 8.0 version instead of 7.1... and we support even 7.2 (and guess... I
have a patch for 7.3 :) )
- "Who is responsible for FreeTDS?" I think some names are missing...
really! Mine, James, Bill, Craig Berry... just to start...
- about DBD::ODBC "On the downside, it may be a little less robust than
DBD::Sybase"... not that true anymore...
- "Server-side cursors work only in ct-lib" I think ODBC is well tested
and working than ct-lib... about db-lib... are server cursor supported
by db-lib ??
- "Encrypted connections to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 using FreeTDS 0.82
do not work. Avoid them. Patches welcome!"... really? I connect all
days :) There was some problems ages ago! Recently updated cipher list
for OpenSSL.

Well... now... friends are coming in couples of hours... my house is
clean and food are ready... so

Happy New Year

bye