freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql connects but prompt incs 1, 2, 3

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ryp Walters" <ryp AT overcoffee.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql connects but prompt incs 1, 2, 3
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:29:59 -0600

Turns out that it is a 'feature' of tsql. I assumed that because I got the
password prompt that I had successfully connected to my remote MSSQL db. In
reviewing tsql.c file, the connection attempt starts afterwards.

I verified via telnet that I was NOT able to access to remote server. Once
that was resolved, tsql works like a charm.

For whoever keeps the User Guide updated, would you please update these
pages:
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/confirminstall.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/serverthere.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/usefreetds.htm (optional)

I suggest the following:

After prompting for the password, tsql will attempt to connect to the remote
server. Tsql will display a counter indicating the number of seconds that
it is attempting to connect. Typically, tsql should immediately respond
with a '1>' prompt. If you see the counter (1, 2, 3, ...), most likely tsql
is unable to connect to your database.