freetds - [freetds] How to Turn Off Character Conversion Failed Warnings

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Eli Finkelshteyn <vengeanceofalf AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] How to Turn Off Character Conversion Failed Warnings
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:52:29 -0500

Hi Folks,
I'm using FreeTDS with Perl and DBD::Sybase to connect to a MSSQL 2008
server. Normally, this is well and good, but today I noticed that someone
thought it would be a good idea to write cp1252 data to a char column I'm
selecting from. This promptly made FreeTDS and Perl fail with the error:
"*Some
character(s) could not be converted into client's character set.
Unconverted bytes were changed to question marks ('?')*"

Now, that's completely fine, and I'm willing to live with the question
marks. The problem is that this warning is read as an error by Perl and
breaks my code!

Googling around, I found that I can use " * set * * char_convert on with no
error*" on a normal Sybase server to ignore this and go on with the code.
Is there some equivalent I can send to FreeTDS, or DBD::Sybase (perhaps a
setting in freetds.conf?) to do the same? I would find that immensely
helpful!

Thanks and Regards,
Eli