freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Samuel Bayer <sam AT mitre.org>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:53:17 -0500

Frediano Ziglio wrote:

Added a "use ntlmv2" option to freetds.conf and a UseNTLMv2 odbc parameter.
Windows clients sends NTLMv2 only when this option is used in local
policy settings (which could be override by domain policies).

Thanks for your attention to this.

I checked out and built the CVS head, and configured my server in freetds.conf as follows:

[<sname>]
tds version = 8.0
use ntlmv2 = yes
host = <host>
port = 1433

where <host> and <sname> are the appropriate sorts of things. I'm failing with the same error I got before. I went so far as to compile the freetds library with -g and break at src/tds/config.c, line 617, and determined that this line WAS being reached and executed, and that afterward the value of use_ntlmv2 in the connection is 1. So the setting is being recognized and processed correctly; but my connection is failing with the same error:

locale is "C"
locale charset is "US-ASCII"
using default charset "ISO-8859-1"
Msg 18452 (severity 14, state 1) from <host> Line 1:
"Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication."
Error 20002 (severity 9):
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance -
Sam Bayer