freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Samuel Bayer <sam AT mitre.org>
  • To: FreeTDS AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:17:09 -0500

Hi all -

I'm a new user of FreeTDS. I'm using a very recent snapshot (freetds-0.83.dev.20101105) because the comments on this list implied that these recent snapshots contain support for NTLM v2, and in fact default to NTLM v2 when presented with a domain login. I have an SQL Server instance, which I don't manage, which is configured to accept NTLM v2 only. I attempt to contact it from my Mac (running Snow Leopard, not a member of the Windows domain) via a DSN-less connection as follows, and get the following error:

------------------------------------

$ TDSVER=8.0 tsql -H <server> -p 1433 -U '<domain>\sam'
Password:
locale is "C"
locale charset is "US-ASCII"
using default charset "ISO-8859-1"
Msg 18452 (severity 14, state 1) from DEPOTSQL Line 1:
"Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication."
Error 20002 (severity 9):
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

where <server> is the FQDN of my server, and <domain> is the domain the SQL Server is a member of, which is a domain in which the user "sam" (which is me) has an account.

Now, I know I can contact this DB; I've used the jTDS JDBC driver to contact this same database from my Mac using the following DB connection string:

If I omit "useNTLMv2=true", I get exactly the same error I'm getting with the tsql command above.

If FreeTDS defaults to NTLM v2, why I am getting this error with tsql?

Thanks to all in advance -

Sam Bayer
The MITRE Corporation
sam AT mitre.org