freetds - Re: [freetds] Can FreeTDS be used to connect Sybase from Cobol on OpenVMS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can FreeTDS be used to connect Sybase from Cobol on OpenVMS
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:50:15 -0500

On Aug 31, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Craig A. Berry wrote:

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:46 PM, palani vel wrote:

Hi Good Morning,

I have a question. Can you please help me out?.

We have existing HP Cobol programs on OpenVMS having embedded SQLs and
connecting to Sybase DB on Unix using Sybase Open Client libraries.

What sort of precompiler are you using for the embedded SQL? I can't remember Sybase ever having that but it may just be a product we never bought. That's one component I don't know of a replacement for (not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of it). Depending on what the precompiled code looks like, you could end up in a situation where you can compile the .cobpre (or whatever it's called) but not the .cob.

I think I said that backwards. You might be able to take the generated COBOL code created by the precompiler, recompile it on the new system, and link against FreeTDS libraries instead of the now non- existent Sybase libraries. You obviously could not run the precompiler, not without translating the image (which is theoretically possible).

Is this the precompiler you've been using?:

<http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-cnarc/cng1000e/cobguide/@Generic__BookTextView/406 >

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."