freetds - Re: [freetds] Can FreeTDS be used to connect Sybase from Cobol on OpenVMS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Craig A. Berry" <craigberry AT mac.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Can FreeTDS be used to connect Sybase from Cobol on OpenVMS
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:32:05 -0500

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:46 PM, palani vel wrote:

Hi Good Morning,

I have a question. Can you please help me out?.

We have existing HP Cobol programs on OpenVMS having embedded SQLs and
connecting to Sybase DB on Unix using Sybase Open Client libraries.

What sort of precompiler are you using for the embedded SQL? I can't remember Sybase ever having that but it may just be a product we never bought. That's one component I don't know of a replacement for (not saying there isn't one, just that I don't know of it). Depending on what the precompiled code looks like, you could end up in a situation where you can compile the .cobpre (or whatever it's called) but not the .cob.

Can FreeTDS be used to replace the Sybase Open Client libraries on OpenVMS
(running on HP Integrity servers) for Cobol?

As the other Craig said, you won't necessarily have binary compatibility, but you should have source compatibility as far as libsybdb goes. It's possible there could be some routines you're using that are unimplemented in FreeTDS; you'll just have to try it and see. I've never made the FreeTDS build produce shareable images, so if you'd been using those, you'll have to switch to static linking or modify the build.

Please note: Sybase is no longer supporting Open Client on OpenVMS.

Right, since 1998 or so.

Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry AT mac.com

difficult than getting in."