freetds - Re: [freetds] current FreeTDS with Visual Studio 2008 (VC9)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Neuhauser, Roman (GE Capital, consultant)" <Roman.Neuhauser AT ge.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] current FreeTDS with Visual Studio 2008 (VC9)
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:05:43 +0100

From: Razvan Cosma
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Neuhauser, Roman (GE Capital, consultant)
> <Roman.Neuhauser AT ge.com> wrote:
> > i'm trying to build freetds-0.83.dev.20100810 with VC9 Express
> > and Windows SDK 6.1. odbc.c does not compile with the errors
> > below (also attached). i'm an amateur in C and more so when it
> > comes to Visual Studio. can someone help me past the problem?
>
> A bit off-topic, but maybe of interest for other freetds
> users: why would
> you want to build it on Windows when Microsoft offers another
> driver? (see
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlphp/archive/2010/08/04/microsoft-drivers-for-php-for-sql-server-2-0-released.aspx
> )

because i'm bitten by a bug in that driver (yes, also in v2.0), and while
the driver is technically FOSS (Apache license), MS doesn't accept
patches and is woefully slow to respond to bug reports (submitted by
others, i can't even register with their bug tracker).

because i care about platform independence in my software, and
the native driver you mention is (naturally) available only for windows.

because MS ends maintenance the instant they gain monopoly (IE),
and i don't want to help that happen.

because... why not?