freetds - Re: [freetds] Crashes happen all the time

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Crashes happen all the time
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:08:14 -0400

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 03:21:51PM -0400, Federico Alves wrote:
> I need some help from the freetds gurus, maybe Frediano Ziglio?. Since I
> moved on to the Asterisk version 1.6, it crashes several times per day. The
> traces are in
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17084
>
> The Asterisk developers think that they are not responsible, and I don't
> know if I need to contact the makers of unixODBC or in fact the offending
> code is in freetds.

> (gdb) bt full
> #0 0x00002aaaaaccf4e5 in SQLDescribeCol () from /usr/lib64/libodbc.so.1
> No symbol table info available.

This is by definition a FreeTDS bug because FreeTDS triggered the
segmentation fault. Either the inputs to SQLDescribeCol() are valid and it
should return valid results, or the inputs are invalid and it should produce
an error.

The trick will be to figure out what happened.

Can you load the symbol table? Then we could see the paramters passed and
the exact line it failed on.

If you can possibly get a TDSDUMP log and a backtrace for the same crash,
we'd be able to see the column metadata as received from the server. That
might provide some insight into what went wrong.