freetds - Re: [freetds] tds7_get_instance_port timed out

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Gregor at HostGIS <gregor AT hostgis.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tds7_get_instance_port timed out
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 09:54:11 -0700

Some information:

From my Vista x64 PC, I can create a ODBC DSN to the Amazon EC2 server and was able to connect successfully; at least, the ODBC test said it worked. Maybe we can replicate the settings in PHP and FreeTDS?

My SQL Server is not using Windows authentication, but a SQL Server username and password. I had to specify that in Vista's ODBC panel, as Windows auth is the default. The freetds.conf man page doesn't mention any such distinction; is this something I should specify in my connect string or freetds.conf?

There is an option to "dynamically determine port" or to specify the port (default is 1433 of course). Both options worked fine. So it's definitely not a firewall issue; my PC isn't on any allow list and Windows Firewall is turned off.

Does this provide any clues?

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."