freetds - Re: [freetds] fisql hangs on a query but tsql doesn't

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Robert Marsa <Robert.Marsa AT clickforensics.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] fisql hangs on a query but tsql doesn't
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:32:11 -0500

We are using SQL Server 2008 build 10.0.2734 and freetds v0.82 from Linux
2.6.31-19-server.

In doing further investigation, it seems that what is happening is the
queries are being given different execution paths. When I issue the query
with tsql I get a fast execution path that uses the indexes, but when I issue
it with fisql, I get a slow execution path that does table scans. Because
there are TB's of data, this makes the query take days to complete. So it
doesn't appear that the driver is hanging.

So, tsql and fisql are using different settings. If I execute:

set quoted_identifier on
set ansi_warnings on
set ansi_padding on
set ansi_nulls on
set concat_null_yields_null on

in fisql, then it works the same as tsql. I don't know if this is a bug in
SQL server or what.

Anyway, issue resolved.

Robert

On Mar 17, 2010, at 15:33 ,
<jklowden AT schemamania.org<mailto:jklowden AT schemamania.org>>