freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS version and issues whiting ORACLE

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS version and issues whiting ORACLE
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 19:33:27 +0100

Il giorno lun, 30/11/2009 alle 10.04 -0800, Absalom Alcaraz ha scritto:
> I installed FreeTDS to connect to a SQL Server in RedHat 3 with Oracel 10g
> version 1.
> I can connect and run select statements using isql.
> I created the HS Oracle connection and started the listener. I can ping
> successfully the database.
>
> When I connect to Oracle and execute a select statement, I got the
> following error:
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this
> message:
> [Generic Connectivity Using ODBC]DRV_InitTdp: errors.h (2059): ;
> [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source (SQL State:
> S1000; SQL Code: 0)
> ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from ISATLK
>
> I contacted ORACLE. They review my configuration files and they told me
> that my configuration is fine. Oracle advised me that the odbc driver is
> not compatible with 10.1 of HS Connectivity. Suggest you contact FreeTDS.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>

> - How can identify if I am using the latest and correct ODBC
> driver version compatible with Oracle database 10 release 1?
>
> - Do I missing a step?
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I'd enable unixODBC tracing, ie adding these lines to /etc/odbcinst.ini

[ODBC]
Trace=Yes
TraceFile=/tmp/sql.txt

keep in mind that this configuration slow down A LOT ODBC, enable it,
issue a connect and that remove this configuration.

You should see SQLConnect/SQLDriverConnect log and also look at file
owner. Is possible that odbc connection is correct but not for Oracle
account. To remove this possibility you should try to move odbc
configuration from user ($HOME/.odbc.ini) to system one
(usually /etc/odbc.ini). A way to do so is rename user file (ie: mv
~/.odbc.ini ~/.odbc.ini.save) and configure system file in order to make
isql happy. Note also that system configuration files for unixODBC
should be readable by everyone.

$ ls -l /etc/odbc*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-09-01 09:15 /etc/odbc.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40 2009-03-06 20:56 /etc/odbcinst.ini

to see configuration files you can use odbcinst

$ odbcinst -j
unixODBC 2.2.11
DRIVERS............: /etc/odbcinst.ini
SYSTEM DATA SOURCES: /etc/odbc.ini
USER DATA SOURCES..: /home/freddy/.odbc.ini