freetds - Re: [freetds] Malformed Packets

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <brian AT bruns.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Malformed Packets
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:31:15 -0400

Hi Steve,

I wrote the original decoder for Wireshark (then Ethereal), but my knowledge
of it's current state is a little dated. One possibility is that the
decoder is a little behind the times and doesn't understand some aspect of
the protocol as used by SQL Server and will throw up its hands with the
"Malformed Packet".

Beyond that, if the malformed packet is coming from SQL Server (as opposed
to a client -> server packet coming from FreeTDS, jTDS, or MS client) which
a source port of 1433 would indicate, I would highly suspect the decoder in
Wireshark to be faulty. MS defines the protocol (for versions 7.0+ at
least) and therefore barring any software malfunction, it would not be
crafting malformed packets.

Are you seeing any other symptoms of problems, or did this just show up with
the network trace? If so I'd place my bets on this being a red herring.

Brian

(Sorry if everyone gets this twice, the first time I sent it didn't seem to
go through)