freetds - Re: [freetds] Hello! Free Six-Pack for FreeTDS Help.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Hello! Free Six-Pack for FreeTDS Help.
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:06:18 -0400

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:14:37AM -0400, Joshua wrote:
> If anyone with experience with FreeTDS could PLEASE look at my issues
> below, I'd owe you a 6-pack of any kind of beverage of your choice.
> Please click the following link for detailed problem analysis and plea
> for help: http://haanmc.com/freetds-issues.txt

> config.c:972:Setting 'ip_port' to 1433 from $TDSPORT.
> config.c:166:Parsed servername, now BLKDB04.weblinkconnect.com on 1433.
> config.c:600:Setting 'tdsver' to 7.0 from $TDSVER.
> config.c:578:Setting 'dump_file' to '/tmp/freetds.log' from $TDSDUMP.
> config.c:589:Setting 'port' to 1433 from $TDSPORT.

If I understand correctly, you're connecting to a Microsoft server using only
environment variables to define the port and TDS version. There's no
freetds.conf. That's unusual, but it should work.

> Using PHP, TDSDUMP file
> ===================
> Why isn't it sending the password??

It's not in the log for security reasons. More recent versions of FreeTDS
put this line in the log for clarity:

login.c:768:quietly sending TDS 7+ login packet

You'll also get much better connection diagnostics with the current snapshot.

If you want to see the login packet, use TDSVER=4.2.

> - Using PHP with MSSQL (XAMPP, with ntwdblib.dll version 2000.80.194.0)
> Same errors as reported in FreeBSD

So, you can connect with Microsoft's own tools (including isql.exe?), but not
with ntwdblib.dll nor with FreeTDS. That suggests to me you're using the
wrong port.

Whatever's listening on 1433, it's not accepting a login from Microsoft's own
library. When the login *packet* is valid, but the login itself is not, the
server responds with error 18456, "Login failed for user
'WLafayetteINUser_RO'" or similar and closes the connection. The server
normally won't abruptly disconnect without a message unless there's a
protocol violation, which certainly isn't happening in this case.

What does the Client Network Utility (cliconfg.exe) show for your server?
Perhaps what's happening is the port is being determined automatically and
you're running the default instance. The current snapshot of tsql supports
the -L parameter and shows something like this:

$ ./freetds/build/src/apps/tsql -L -H myserver
locale is "C"
locale charset is "646"
ServerName MARYPOPPINS
InstanceName MSSQLSERVER