freetds - Re: [freetds] Missing ClientCharset parameter description on documentation?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Missing ClientCharset parameter description on documentation?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:57:27 -0400

Sebastien FLAESCH wrote:

> Maybe both stable (0.82) and dev (0.83) documentations should be online.

We maintain documentation on the website for the most recent release.
That's convenient for people who use the current release (most people, I
believe) and for people who want to know about the current functionality
in detail. (One of my pet peeves is projects that don't have
documentation on their website. You have to download and sometimes
install it just to find out what it does.)

The nightly snapshot contains full documentation. It is sometimes a
little out of date relative to the functionality. One of my chores as
maintainer is to update the docs before a release.

I don't see much value in posting the development branch documentation on
the website. It would be confusing, not very different, and sometimes
inaccurate.

My advice to someone who relies on a snapshot is to post their version's
UG locally. If you find errors, it's not *that* hard to correct the SGML
and regenerate the HTML. Patches will be applied happily.

> I was wondering with the ClientCharset ODBC data source parameter is not
> described

Right. Thanks for mentioning it. It was not in doc/userguide.sgml,
either. (Just an example of how the user guide lags behind
functionality.) Updated.