freetds - Re: [freetds] mission: emulate "trusted login"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Deacon <peterd AT iea-software.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] mission: emulate "trusted login"
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 16:09:11 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, James K. Lowden wrote:

I would like FreeTDS to be able to run on Win64 in just the way
NTWDBLIB.DLL runs in Win32.

The biggest missing component is "trusted login", whereby the user does
not provide his username and password. Instead, cached credentials are
retrieved from the operating system. Adding that feature to FreeTDS will
give us a bone-for-bone Microsoft-compatible Win64 DB-Library.

Question: how to retrieve said credentials via the Win32 API?

FWIW what little I know about this you can't retreive (stored) hashes or hash hashes from any windows API. The information is protected by the OS/syskey.

Used LsaLogonUser years back to authenticate to windows by passing challenge/response material from a client.

Looking through MSDN LsaRetrievePrivateData looks about right to get credential information from the users current session.

take care,
Peter