freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS issue with SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Frediano Ziglio" <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS issue with SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:33:50 +0100

> Hi,
> We are using FreeTDS version 0.82 to connect to MSSQL Server
> 2005. One
> issue I observed was that, whenever we set
> SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT it takes
> twice the amount of time to return than the specified value
> if the server is
> not available.
>
> For example, if I set the query timeout to 10 seconds, it
> returns after 20
> seconds.
>
> Is this an issue or behavior? Is there a spec on the
> implementation of
> timeouts in FreeTDS which I can refer to ?
>

> Thanks,
> Bhagya

This is due to cancellation, on first timeout we send cancellation on second
we timeout. In this case however you should not have a cancellation.... Note
however that usually during connection there are two timeouts, one relative
to connection (think about network connection) and another for settings
(that login timeout). You should enable logging to see which problem you
have during connection.