freetds - Re: [freetds] Connectivity problem from Linux to Sql Server 2000usingFreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connectivity problem from Linux to Sql Server 2000usingFreeTDS
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:08:15 -0400

Murugesan, Prasanna Venkatesh wrote:
> I am trying to connect to sql server
> from the prompt using
>
> "TDSDUMP=freetds.log TDSVER=7.0 tsql -H10.182.92.68 -p3531 -Uibia_ir -P"
>
> locale is "C"
> locale charset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
> Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server , Line 0
> Login failed for user 'ibia_ir'.
> Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
> Adaptive Server connection failed
> There was a problem connecting to the server.

Hi Prasanna,

When you use the -P option, you must provide the password as an argument,
e.g.:

$ tsql -S$S -U$U -P$P
locale is "C"
locale charset is "646"
1>

Perhaps you're doing that, but your description above doesn't show it.
(It's always a good idea to capture the whole command line and output
verbatim. It avoids subtle oversights like that.)

Other than that, what you're doing looks good. Your log shows your server
is responding (as predicted). It's simply rejecting the username+password
pair you're providing. I have no doubt FreeTDS is sending a proper login
packet, because the server accepts the packet and rejects the login.

If you want further verification, you can use TDS version 4.2 instead; the
log will show the login packet, including the password.

> I am using the sqlserver login in the user
> name and password switches .

You should be able to use the same account with Microsoft's ISQL/OSQL
utilities. They won't use your domain login (if any) without explicit
direction. Make sure your Win32 box is set to use TCP/IP for its
connection to your server.

HTH.