freetds - Re: [freetds] Prepared statements with no parameters exhibit strangebehaviour

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Chris Reeves <csr2 AT st-andrews.ac.uk>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Prepared statements with no parameters exhibit strangebehaviour
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:59:12 +0100

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 08:49:59AM +0200, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

> Applied modified versions of the patches. tds_query_flush_packet was really
> wrong in
> tds_send_emulated_execute!
> I noted however that probably you are using wrong protocol version. ODBC
> should use this
> function only on Sybase with some text fields or using a former protocol
> (4.2). Currently
> you should use protocol version 5.0 for Sybase, 8.0 for mssql2k and 7.0 for
> mssql < 2k.

I noticed that FreeTDS was using protocol 4.2 when I was debugging all of this
(the prepared statements weren't really prepared and were sent to the server
every time) but I didn't want to confuse matters by including this in the
other message. My task for today was going to be figuring out *why* it was
using protocol 4.2 (this is an MS SQL server). I don't know any way of
changing this using ODBC calls, so what is the correct way of selecting the
protocol version when using ODBC?

Cheers,
Chris