freetds - Re: [freetds] -static removed again

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] -static removed again
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:03:21 +0200

> Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> > I removed -static from src/ctlib/Makefile.am, as I remember
> was a false
> > problem and cause very large executables to be created.
>
> Hi Freddy,
>
> You mean src/ctlib/unittests/Makefile.am?

yes

> I don't know that it's a "false" problem. I don't know a way to use
> LDFLAGS to pass an RPATH that is good for both src/apps/ and
> src/*/unittests. For apps I want PREFIX/lib. For unittests I want
> src/API/.libs.
>
> Even if I can solve it for myself, I would like an
> idiot-proof solution.
> People should be able to run "make check" and be certain (if
> they think
> about it at all) that the tests are run against the
> uninstalled libraries.

I don't think make check will be really idiot-proof, it require:
- a correctly configure account and test server
- compiling freetds.conf
- filling PWD
so IMHO it would be better to document it better.

> The only foolproof answer I know of is -static. I'm not
> concerned with
> the size. Disks are cheap, and unit tests aren't kept.
> "make clean" is
> your friend.

Honestly I prefer dynamic cause it does not require to relink tests every
time. I also got
some problem compiling for windows (I don't remember perhaps was related to
other issues). I
have a lot of script to help me to do some tasks (mostly testing and
packaging), one cross
compile FreeTDS for Windows (either win32 and win64) and having big
executable is a problem
(it takes quite a lot to move tests to my final test system).

> I just don't think it's a problem. Why do you?
>
> A good compromise might be -static by default unless
> TDS_UNITTESTS_DYNAMIC
> is defined in the environment. But I don't feel the need for
> a solution
> to something that IMO is not a problem.

I think that the real users are mostly... me and you James :) For me it
always works as
expected even if I have freetds installed as packaged. If I remember you have
a problem with
your LDFLAGS, I use LD_RUN_PATH and it works. It's also strange that you
don't have the
problem for dblib.. dblib unittests are compiled exactly as ctlib ones.

bye
Frediano