freetds - Re: [freetds] -static removed again

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] -static removed again
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:12:39 -0400

Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> I removed -static from src/ctlib/Makefile.am, as I remember was a false
> problem and cause very large executables to be created.

Hi Freddy,

You mean src/ctlib/unittests/Makefile.am?

I don't know that it's a "false" problem. I don't know a way to use
LDFLAGS to pass an RPATH that is good for both src/apps/ and
src/*/unittests. For apps I want PREFIX/lib. For unittests I want
src/API/.libs.

Even if I can solve it for myself, I would like an idiot-proof solution.
People should be able to run "make check" and be certain (if they think
about it at all) that the tests are run against the uninstalled libraries.

The only foolproof answer I know of is -static. I'm not concerned with
the size. Disks are cheap, and unit tests aren't kept. "make clean" is
your friend.

I just don't think it's a problem. Why do you?

A good compromise might be -static by default unless TDS_UNITTESTS_DYNAMIC
is defined in the environment. But I don't feel the need for a solution
to something that IMO is not a problem.

Regards,