freetds - Re: [freetds] Blowup on 64 Bits

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Blowup on 64 Bits
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:50:31 -0500

Federico Alves wrote:

> Question, Do I need to compile freetds with symbols to get a more
> detailed trace?

You do need them, yes. To check if they're there:

$ file /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so.5.0
/usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so.5.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

If you see "stripped", you'll need to re-install the binaries without
stripping them. Depending on where they came from, you might have to
rebuild. When FreeTDS is built from source, "make install" does not strip
the debugging symbols.

$ gcc -O0 -ggdb3

provides the most detail possible AIUI.

OTOH, if you're looking at a core file (gdb -c) you won't see symbols
until you load them with gdb's "file" command.

If you discover an error in FreeTDS that leads to a crash, that would of
course be considered a bug and we would be grateful for any information
about it.

HTH.