freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS version for MS SQL 2005?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Frediano Ziglio" <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS version for MS SQL 2005?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:57:19 +0200

2007/9/21, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>:

> Amanda Wise wrote:
> > I had heard that MS SQL 2005 is running off of tds version 7.2 and SQL
> > 2000 runs off of 7.1. Are these compatible with using TDS version 7.0
> > as a default for connection using freetds?
>
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/tdshistory.htm
>
> The changes from 4.2 to 7.0 were considerable, but the changes since have
> been minor. A 7.0 client can connect to and use a later server with no
> problem.
>
> I've seen that "7.1" notation on occasion, too, but that's not what
> FreeTDS uses. We call that 8.0. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 introduces a
> few things, so we've started calling that 9.0. These new versions support
> new datatypes, mostly.

Does Microsoft call protocol 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2 ?? I always thought that
mssql2k speaks tds 8.0 version !!!
Perhaps I confused db version with protocol one??

mssql 2005 introduce some very kindly stuff. Starting from small changes:
row count are 64bit, line number 32bit. Transaction are now handled with a
transaction id. Every query (either simple or rpc) have it's transaction id.
I don't know if it's possible to use two transaction but I know that you can
enable MARS (multiple active record set) to handle multiple recordset
without the need for cursors or multiple connections. There are also chunked
types and (max) length specification, very useful for handle large set of
data without knowing length in advance. I don't understand the need for a
xml type but it's present...

Currently I have a patch for tds 9 but I don't think is that stable to
commit (mostly for transaction handling). Perhaps I'll add a file patch to
CVS (just to save the work), a branch is too much.

The client indicates his version level as part of his login packet. The