freetds - Re: [freetds] TDS version for MS SQL 2005?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] TDS version for MS SQL 2005?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:18:52 -0400

Amanda Wise wrote:
> I had heard that MS SQL 2005 is running off of tds version 7.2 and SQL
> 2000 runs off of 7.1. Are these compatible with using TDS version 7.0
> as a default for connection using freetds?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/tdshistory.htm

The changes from 4.2 to 7.0 were considerable, but the changes since have
been minor. A 7.0 client can connect to and use a later server with no
problem.

I've seen that "7.1" notation on occasion, too, but that's not what
FreeTDS uses. We call that 8.0. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 introduces a
few things, so we've started calling that 9.0. These new versions support
new datatypes, mostly.

The client indicates his version level as part of his login packet. The
server then knows what the client can accept, and won't put anything
unacceptable in the pipe.

HTH.