freetds - Re: [freetds] Using PHP with FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using PHP with FreeTDS
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 21:25:11 +0200

On Jun 1, 2007, at 17:06, Brian Paquin wrote:

TDSDUMP generates a LOT of output!!
( I redirected the output to a file. When the file reached 2GB, I killed the job and reviewed file.)

Definitely shouldn't be getting that big, sounds like it's stuck in some infinite loop.

Connects to the database and receives the first packet of database results. After those lines, it seems like a lot of repetition (see attached file "log.txt"). Is this output normal?

Clearly not normal, but you forgot to attach it, or it was lost somewhere along the way, perhaps due to the size of it.
Try sending it up to the first 2-3 repetitions max. Also note that sensitive login information may be in the log, you might want to edit that out first.

I used "php -i" to retrieve the config used by Apple, downloaded PHP 4.4.4 from php.net, and then rebuilt it (adding in the sybase directive).

So you didn't apply Apple's custom patches to it, whatever those may do -- unlikely to make a difference with the sybase part.
Still, I just don't see the logic of reinstalling PHP this way.
If you're overwriting Apple's version with your own custom-built copy, you might as well have went with the current versions of PHP, 4.4.7 or even 5.2.3. And because you installed it into the same place Apple's version used to be, Apple's system updates will likely just go ahead and blindly overwrite your copy in the future, killing the sybase support.

But again this is mostly just an aside; probably not the cause of your problem here.

otool confirms that FreeTDS is present...
/usr/local/lib/libsybdb.5.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)

Good, so we have confirmed that you have:
- only one copy of PHP on your system
- it is linked to FreeTDS's db-lib and actually using it

I'm still not convinced that the problem lies in FreeTDS necessarily, the endless repetition could be simply following the orders of those calling it, the php script or the code of php's sybase extension.

Now we would need to take a look at that TDSDUMP log or your php script to find out more.
By the way, since you mentioned having a properly working set-up on another computer, it might also be a good idea to compare the TDSDUMP output of that system with the new one.

--
fds