freetds - Re: [freetds] login failures

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Daniel Fazekas <fdsubs AT t-online.hu>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] login failures
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:14:16 +0200

On Apr 30, 2007, at 15:51, SteveC wrote:

tsql -C says its using version 5.0 and all my efforts to tell it to use 4.2 or 8.0 seem to fail.

tsql -C only lists the compile-time defaults. Naturally those can only be changed by recompiling with different settings.

But of course that doesn't mean you can't tell it to use a different TDS version through freetds.conf, for example.
tsql -C will still keep listing the compile-time default.

I'm hoping that 5.0 might be incompatible for logins, or something,

Not just for logins; 5.0 is utterly incompatible with any release of MS SQL. It's only for Sybase servers:
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/tdshistory.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/choosingtdsprotocol.htm

In any case how do I set the version number? I've tried the environment variable and ~/.freetds.conf

Yet those two are the only ways of setting the TDS version post compilation, through configuration files or the environment variable TDSVER.
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/envvar.htm

If it's not working, you are doing something wrong.
Or you may be just mistakenly expecting them to change the output of tsql -C.

--
fds