freetds - [freetds] new tool: fisql

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] new tool: fisql
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 00:24:08 -0500

Unless you've been paying close attention, you probably haven't noticed we
have a new utility in src/apps called "fisql". It's a featureful db-lib
based isql, contributed (to the public domain?) by Nick Castellano. We
now have a complete set of developer tools: isql, freebcp, and defncopy.
In addition, we have tsql for low-level testing and bsqldb for batch
processing. Not bad!

Nick, before another day goes by, I want to publicly thank you, if I may,
on behalf of the community! Your timing couldn't have been better,
either, as you probably know. Having fixed the error handling in db-lib,
I was publicly musing about the utility of dbsetinterrupt(), and the next
thing I know an application that uses it shows up in CVS. You can imagine
my surprise.

I must be doing something wrong, though, because on my machine fisql
resolutely refuses to print data:

$ printf 'select 1 as one\ngo\n' | src/apps/fisql/fisql -S $S -U $U -P $P
Msg 5701, Level 10, State 2:
Server 'test', Changed database context to 'FreeTDS'.

one

(1 rows affected)

Either I forgot something obvious, or I've got more debugging to do....

I added a man page for fisql. I wonder about the name, though: the "Fine
Interactive SQL" tool?

Congratulations and regards,