freetds - [freetds] freetds / IBM UniVerse

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Perry Taylor" <perryft AT hotmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] freetds / IBM UniVerse
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:20:26 -0700

I have built and installed unixodbc and freetds on our RHEL3 server. I have been able to successfully connect to our SQL Server using both isql and tsql. However when I try to connect from within our IBM/UniVerse database environment I get the following error message...

SQLConnect error: Status = -1 SQLState = S1000 Natcode = 0
[ODBC] [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source

Here is a statement from IBM support on how they implement their ODBC api, BCI ...

-------

When you use BCI to connect to an ODBC driver, all we do is go to the driver manager, the odbclib that's defined, and the driver manager takes care of the rest. If CONNECT finds the driver manager, that's all the CONNECT command is supposed to do. From there, it's the driver manager and driver's responsibility to find whatever the driver needs and make the connection.

The error shows BCI successfully found the driver manager. In the error: [ODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source from left to right BCI, we found the driver manager [FreeTDS], which then found its SQL Server driver, [SQL Server]. BCI is not aware of what you are using so that's how we know who's driver you are using and that we found it. The "Unable to connect to data source" is coming from the FreeTDS SQL Server driver rather than BCI.

----

Additionally IBM support has indicated that others have reported similar troubles using freetds with UniVerse. However, since they do not support the odbc driver/manager they offer little more in the way of help other than to say to contact the driver support facilities.

When I enable TDSDUMP and here is what I get...

util.c:288:Starting log file for FreeTDS 0.64
on 2007-01-03 12:00:49 with debug flags 0x4fff.
iconv.c:195:names for ISO-8859-1: ISO-8859-1
iconv.c:195:names for UTF-8: UTF-8
iconv.c:195:names for UCS-2LE: UCS-2LE
iconv.c:195:names for UCS-2BE: UCS-2BE
iconv.c:361:iconv to convert client-side data to the "ISO-8859-1" character set
iconv.c:514:tds_iconv_info_init: converting "ISO-8859-1"->"UCS-2LE"
login.c:209:IP address pointer is empty
login.c:211:Server SYBASE not found!
mem.c:519:tds_free_all_results()

I'm completely baffled as to why it would even be looking for a server named "SYBASE". Here is my /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini...

[root@devuv1 trax]# cat /usr/local/etc/odbc.ini
[ODBC Data Sources]
SQL1 = MS SQL Server Driver

[SQL1]
Driver = /usr/local/freetds/lib/libodbc.so
Description = sql1 cueball database
#Servername = SQL1
Database = cueball
Server = devsql1
Port = 1433
TDS_Version = 8.0

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Perry Taylor
Sr MV Architect
Zirmed, Inc.