freetds - Re: [freetds] Long column names and PHP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Long column names and PHP
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:32:06 -0400

Thomas, Christopher (LLU) wrote:
> You are right that I was connecting using 4.2. I
> couldn't find the version from the TDSDUMP. But I checked the output
> from phpinfo() and it said 7.0, but I guess the freetds.conf file
> overrides whatever PHP has selected. After I changed the version inside
> freetds.conf to 8.0, everything worked perfectly. Funny thing is
> phpinfo() still reports 7.0.

I don't know what PHP is doing. Using a current snapshot and assuming
you're using the mssql extension, you can see in the TDSDUMP log the order
of db-lib calls. And PHP could learn the TDS version only from the db-lib
function dbtds(). Anything else is just guesswork. (If you're using
ODBC, then I don't know.)

We used to include the TDS version at the top of the log when connecting.
I noticed it got dropped some time ago. That was probably inadvertent,
because I don't remember any discussion and can't see any advantage. I'll
look into putting it back.

Glad you posted. If you were confused, someone else surely will be, too.