freetds - [freetds] About "initial block Size"

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ou Liu" <OLiu AT corillian.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] About "initial block Size"
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:25:11 -0700

Hi,

When I am trying to make a query from a Solaris Client using
FreeTDS (tsql) to a SQL Server in production, I met the following
problem:

1. Query string: Select * from account

2. The table "account" have 36,000+ rows

3. If I set in freetds.conf the "initial block Size" to 512, I can
get back about 80 rows and then the freetds hangs on the select() call
in net.c/tds_good_read(), if I set it to 1024 I can get back about 70
rows and then freetds hangs on the select() call in
net.c/tds_good_read(), if I set it to anything more than 2048 the
freetds hangs on the select() call before it returns anything.

4. There is a firewall between the Solaris Client and SQL Server,
and is it possible because someone has set up some rules that if the
packet size is too large then drop the packet, if the "block Size"
decides the packet size from SQL Server?

5. Anyway, what is this "block size" for?

Regards

Ou