freetds - Re: [freetds] There was a problem connecting to the server on FreeTDS.64

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] There was a problem connecting to the server on FreeTDS.64
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 04:43:09 -0400

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/logging.htm, cf. TDSDUMPCONFIG.

> Also, I have sql server 2000 and I am not really familiar with it, is
> there a quick way to see if it is running correctly, ie, able to recieve
> incoming requests.

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/serverthere.htm

Because TDS is a tcp protocol, the server listens for tcp connections.
Telnet also uses tcp, and so can connect to a server. But only connect:
because telnet(1) doesn't know anything about TDS, it can't *communicate*
with the server; all you can do is terminate the connection (if the server
doesn't do that for you). Still, the fact that you connected to the
server's host machine at the port the server is supposed to be listening
on tells you that *probably* you found your server in working order.

HTH.