freetds - Re: [freetds] Don't know what to tell Makefile.PL for DBD::Sybase on Centos

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Don't know what to tell Makefile.PL for DBD::Sybase on Centos
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:13:17 -0400

Ed Ahlsen-Girard wrote:
> I have installed freetds on a Centos server (Enterprise Red Hat clone).
> I am trying to install DBD::Sybase (a perl module) to talk to it, but it
> seems that no matter what I set SYBASE to in the environment or in
> CONFIG, Makefile.PL dies thus:
>
> Please set SYBASE in CONFIG, or set the $SYBASE environment variable at
> Makefile.PL line 98, <IN> line 44.

Do this and look for 'libsybdb':

$ ldd $(command -v freebcp)
/usr/local/bin/freebcp:
-lsybdb.5 => /usr/local/lib/libsybdb.so.5
-lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

libsybdb is FreeTDS's db-lib, and it's parked (along with its brethren) in
/usr/local/lib. That means, on my machine, the "main" FreeTDS directory
is /usr/local. Consequently, that's what $SYBASE is, too:

$ echo $SYBASE
/usr/local

DBD::Sybase uses libct, not libsybdb, but they're in the same directory
and the above procedure will get you there.

HTH.