freetds - Re: [freetds] SQL connection question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SQL connection question
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:42:43 +0200

> Hello. I got my start in PHP with mySQL, but for the last
> several years
> I worked with ASP and SQL Server. Early in that job, I read about a
> difference between performance with the ODBC drivers versus
> OLEDB in COM
> for Windows. I wrote some simple tests of my own trying to process
> records using the ODBC and SQLOLEDB drivers and the SQLOLEDB
> were faster
> by far.

If you use ASP usually you use ADODB -> OleDB -> OleDb MSSQL Provider or
ADODB -> OleDB -> OleDb ODBC Provider -> ODBC -> MSSQL ODBC Driver, if
you want to really compare ODBC and OleDb you should use ODBC and OleDb
directly.

> Now I'm back in a job that uses PHP on Linux but they are beginning to
> move from mySQL to SQL Server. I see that SQL Server support
> on *nix is
> based on this FreeTDS library. I don't really know much
> about database
> drivers, but I'd like to know if FreeTDS benefits (or can
> benefit) from
> the same difference that made the OLDEB driver perform so much better
> over ODBC.
>
> Andrew

There is no OleDb on *nix so you have to use other ways. PHP can use all
libraries (odbc, dblib, ctlib) we provided. It would help to know how
you dialog with mssql. For instance, do you use stored procedures,
prepared statements, transactions or only string statements?