freetds - [freetds] Using FreeTDS ODBC on Windows

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Navdeep Shergill" <jatshergill AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Using FreeTDS ODBC on Windows
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:44:27 -0700

Hi guys

I have a couple of questions regarding using FreeTDS ODBC on
windows. Let me first explain what I got working so far.

I am able to connect to a SQL server from windows using FreeTDS
odbc IF I specify the dsn information using the windows 'ODBC Data Source
Administrator' control panel. I enter in all the details about the server
(including name, port, database) and it creates an entry in the odbc.ini
file like this:

[mydsn]

Driver32=C:\WINNT\System32\FreeTDS.dll

The rest of the information about that dsn (mydsn) is saved in the windows
registry. This works fine; but what I was trying to do was connect to a dsn
without using the 'gui ADD a new System DataSource' dialog box that is
found in the windows control panel. Ideally; what I would like to do is have
FreeTDS just read the freetds.conf file and gather all its information from
that file instead of looking in the odbc.ini file and the registry.

I came across this page on the FreeTDS list:
http://www.freetdsorg/userguide/prepodbc.htm
<http://www.freetds.org/userguide/prepodbc.htm>

It mentions the 3 choices for ODBC (DSN-less, ODBC-only, ODBC-combined). I
figure the one I would use is the ODBC-combined since I can just write the
dsn names in the odbc.ini file and have all the information in the
freetds.conf file. Does the 'DSN-less' option mean that I just need a
freetds.conf file? How do I enable these options?

In summary, I would like to connect to a data source using FreeTDS without
actually writing to the windows registry all the information for a dsn
specified in the odbc.ini file.

Thanks in advance

Nav