freetds - Re: [freetds] Data porting homegrown tools and techniques (was RE:freebcp: add support for escaping characters?)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Thompson, Bill D (London)" <bill_d_thompson AT ml.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Data porting homegrown tools and techniques (was RE:freebcp: add support for escaping characters?)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:25:48 +0100

Hi Roger,

I first got into freeTDS when working on the port of a Sybase system to
SQL Server.
Our big problem was the UNIX client code that we had, and how to get it
to work with SQL server.
I stumbled across freeTDS as a possible solution, and the rest is
history.

My Client code used dblib, but made great use of the dblibrary bcp api,
which at the time wasn't implemented in freeTDS.
I did a lot of work on getting those functions to work, and freebcp just
came as a natural consequence.

As regards data migration, I had 450Gb of Sybase data to migrate to SQL
in a 24hr time slot.

I ended up writing the forerunner of the "datacopy" program, which now
comes with freeTDS, to do the job.

It migrates all the data from a table in one server (Sybase) to another
congruent table in another Server (SQL).
It uses the bcp api to get the data into the target table, and has the
added advantage of doing minimal data conversion, i.e from datetime to
string and back again, that bcp-ing to/from files would involve. Oh, and
there's no intermediate files either, so no need to worry about
field/record delimiters.

It looks like this program might be "the johnny for the job" for you...

If you need any help at all with Sybase-SQL migration, I'll be happy to
help.
I've also done a lot of work on migrating Sybase stored procedure code
to SQL Server as well.

good luck,

Bill