freetds - Re: [freetds] Dealing with MSSQL Unicode data

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Justin Hart" <JHart AT webroot.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Dealing with MSSQL Unicode data
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:27:22 -0700

(Was using digest mode which isn't the best for responding to messages!)

Ok, so I've chalked my errors below up to cruddy data in the database,
and a flawed test (was looking at one database for one thing, another db
for another). In general, we've found our issue.

We were using odbtp to transport php/apache/freebsd database calls to
mssql - everything was good in testing (we had no problems, and
performance was pretty nice). It doesn't require you to use the "INSERT
INTO ... (nvarcharcol) VALUES (N'unicode')" syntax (it seems to
automagically munge the query on the way). When we tested with freeTDS,
this is not the case (really, the way we should have expected), so our
inserts without the N'' were coming in as ascii to mssql.

This is a failing of our code (reliance on PEAR::DB and the autoprepare
functions, which don't seem to know about this convention), and we're
working around that.

As a big thanks to the FreeTDS community, we've switched away from odbtp
because of stability issues of their transport agent (odbtpsrv) and
we're rolling out FreeTDS as our primary connector for a 20+ webserver
infrastructure. We'll be looking into FreeTDS pooling servers in the
future as we continue to require more front-end servers.

We're also looking for any performance tuning tips you guys may have -
but since my request here is at the end of a long email, I'll make
another request later after perusing through the docs again.

Thanks again.