freetds - [freetds] Dealing with MSSQL Unicode data

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Justin Hart" <JHart AT webroot.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Dealing with MSSQL Unicode data
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:19:14 -0700

After reading through the FreeTDS/Unicode issues at
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/unicodefreetds.htm and doing some
testing, its looking like I've got the following situation. I cant
exactly confirm it, but looking at the data returned by it vs what is
passed in through freetds on the log, vs another connector (odbtp). I
will try to add some comments later including my findings in testing.

Data is getting stored into the database (from a native odbc connection
on windows) UTF-8 encoded. That is how it is stored in the database, on
the lower order byte of the UCS-2 'character'.

When that gets passed in through FreeTDS, 'looking' like UCS-2 (but is
really just UTF8 on the low order byte), iconv attempts to convert it to
UTF8. This causes a jumbled mess.

Has anyone seen this? Is there a way to turn off the auto-handling in
FreeBSD to let another library deal with the characters, or something
like that? I'm a little stuck as far as Unicode goes.

We're having trouble tuning the load on odbtp and trying to keep our
options open as far as other connectors (without having to pay $6000+
for an ODBC-ODBC bridge).

(we're running PHP on FreeBSD, connecting to MS SQL Server 2000)

<http://www.webroot.com>

Justin Hart
Web Systems Administrator

Webroot Software, Inc
2560 55th Street
Boulder, CO 80301
<http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=2560+55th+Street&csz=Bou
lder%2C+CO+80301&country=us>

jhart AT webroot.com <mailto:jhart AT webroot.com>
http://www.webroot.com <http://www.webroot.com>

tel:
mobile:

303-442-3813 x190