freetds - [freetds] [SOLVED] FreeTDS not using domain logins

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Ciaran Hamilton <ciaran AT tnauk.org.uk>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] [SOLVED] FreeTDS not using domain logins
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 13:03:55 +0000

Hi,

This may already be a known problem, but I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else has the same problem.

I was trying to use the latest stable version of FreeTDS (v0.63) to connect to SQL Server 2000, using domain logins. I had configured it as it should be - I had run "./configure --with-tdsver=8.0", I had unblocked the port on the Windows Firewall, I'd set the server to Mixed Mode authentication, etc.

And for some reason I couldn't figure out, sometimes it seemed to work and accept my domain login, and other times it wouldn't. It would always work with normal logins though.

It turns out that this is due to a potential problem in "make install". I had tried using tsql both before and after the install, see, and it turned out only to work before the "make install" command. This is because before the install, tsql was using the protocol version that I specified in the configure command - 8.0 - which supports domain logins.

However, after the install, it was reading the newly-installed /usr/local/etc/freetds.conf file and finding the global TDS protocol setting there, which had been set to "4.2", despite the setting I gave to configure. As a result, it was trying to use the domain login name on a protocol that doesn't support domain logins, and it failed.

This foxed me for a while, so I want to make sure people know about the problem, and its solution. :D Perhaps configure should update the freetds.conf file with the protocol version you specify?

Thanks,

- Ciaran.