freetds - Re: [freetds] Connecting to an SQL 2005 server in a windows 2000 machine[Scanned]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Connecting to an SQL 2005 server in a windows 2000 machine[Scanned]
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:33:52 -0500

If your server is indeed at the address and port described in you
freetds.conf, you will be able to connect to it with tsql. If you
cannot connect with tsql, I suggest you use TDSDUMP to create a log file
and look at the output.

It may be something simple, such as typing "127 instead of "172" for the
address (although I always recommend using names instead of numbers).

Once tsql works, you've isolated the problem to DBI, which typically
works (with the right connection string).

> Trying 172.25.X.X...
>
> I can't do telnet to an sql port from linux but I can connecto to
> an SQL Server with my laptop . My laptop this one in the same subnet
> that the linux machine.

Right. That's the problem. There is no server listening to 1433 at
that address. If there were, you'd see a connect message.

You may think there is a server there. You may have been told so. You
may be sure. You may even be right. But the test fails: you can't
connect to it. Until telnet works, nothing will.

Either the address is wrong, or the port is, or there's a firewall of
some kind interfering with the communication. My money's on the port,
because it's not reported by Microsoft's tools, which you say work from
the same subnet. You might try telnet from that Windows client, just to
be sure.

HTH. :-)

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.