freetds - Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: liam AT inodes.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tdsdump SIGSEGV with mt apps
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:59:10 +1000

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:32:51AM +0200, ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

> - timeout. New timeout in TDSSOCKET. I'm very again this. There are

Perhaps I don't fully understand the intricacies of the TDS protocol
but the reason I included it is that from my perspective the caller
may want to wait an hour for a query to finish, but they probably
don't want to wait an hour to be notified if there is a network
timeout or error? Are the two ideas mutually exclusive?

Does anything come down the wire when a very long query is being
executed? I would expect something needs to in order to stop the
stack from closing the connection?

> - dblib threading... sorry but I'm still again the big lock around
> tds_ctx... the problem seems only dbexit so I still think that tds_ctx
> don't suffer thread problems...

I agree with you but other than putting a TDS_CONTEXT in each DBPROCESS
there isn't any other solution. I don't have the time right now to
rewrite that much code but I can look into it later.

>From my point of view, the big mutex solution is better than what's on
offer today to threaded users of dblib which is data corruption and
application crashes.

The problem is not just dbexit(). The major problem is the connection_list
and other data in g_dblib_ctx. This should be removed in favour of a
TDS_CONTEXT in each DBPROCESS.

You also have data visibility issues unless you use mutual exclusion.

I have multi-threaded application that uses dblib/FreeTDS to do 1M+
transactions per day. I can tell you, it crashes spectacularly without
mutual exclusion in dblib.

> Sorry, I forgot to add some comments. Why do you add a fixed 60 seconds
> timeout and a 3600 query_timeout? I think that is up to developer if it
> wants an infinite wait...

I think an infinite wait is inappropriate. If the developer wants a very
long wait then they can set timeout = 86400 or greater in .freetds.conf.

As to what the default values should be, that's up for discussion.

> connection close). You removed code to close connection if we are not
> able to read header... however if we read partially header we go to an
> invalid state... much better to close connection... Note that goodread
> do not exit till if read all data... it CANNOT exit on timeout (as it do
> now... this is the reason timeout test do not works). You can change
> this behavior however you cannot lose sync with server...

You know what the right behaviour is here from a TDS protocol perspective,
so let's go with your suggestion. If you can produce a patch, I'll test it
against what my perception of the appropriate behaviour should be and
hopefully we'll meet in the middle.

Finally, can you remove the double slash commented macros in tdsthread.h?
No point having them there.

Thanks.