freetds - Re: [freetds] Named Instances

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Named Instances
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:04:27 +0200

Il giorno mer, 06-04-2005 alle 09:22 +1000, Brett ha scritto:
> Ah, I see now.
>
> I've re-created my test program using dblib, but again I can't see how to
> specify a named instance using this library. And I can't even see how
> to specify a freetds.conf file using this library. Finding these
> plentiful examples on the net isn't as easy as you suggest, and grepping
> through the unittests isn't the easiest way to learn how to use the
> library.

Well just to explain. dblib and ctlib usually (with few dirty
exceptions) REQUIRE freetds.conf. In a server configuration you put an
"instance" (see UserGuide contained in snapshot for explanation).
Something like

[myserver]
host=myhostname
tds version=8.0
instance=myinstancename

A sample freetds.conf get installed in the right place when you install
FreeTDS, edit this file or use ~/.freetds.conf.

If someone want to get rid of FreeTDS perhaps it would be better to
extend dblib/ctlib server name syntax instead of using strange
methods... DBI (a Perl library) for example use a syntax like
"server;option=value" to specify other options. Honestly I prefer
centralized configuration using freetds.conf...