freetds - [freetds] Released: 0.63

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Released: 0.63
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:48:35 -0500

http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/stable/freetds-stable.tgz

Much to everyone's relief, I'm sure, freetds-0.63 was published on ibiblio
tonight. Announcements were sent to the usual outlets: freshmeat.net,
comp.databases.sybase, and comp.databases.ms-sqlserver. I will update the
website later.

The release candidates were moved to a subdirectory, and the 0.62 releases
were moved to ../old.

The unabridged announcement follows. My thanks to everyone for your
participation and patience.

--jkl

Text of announcement:

The FreeTDS development team proudly announces release 0.63. As with
prior releases, this version supersedes all others. It compiles and
runs better than its predecessors.

In the year since its last release, FreeTDS grew considerably, adding
approximately 10,000 lines of code, a 13% increase. It is better in all
respects: it is compatible with more systems, has more functionality,
and still better bulk-copy support. Highlights include:

ODBC is now compatible with OpenOffice.org, and even works with Oracle's
OTL libary. It has better 64-bit support. It has better support for
the "no driver manager" option, and the rpm package no longer depends
on the main package.

Ct-lib now sports bcp and cursors. The largest missing feature is now
placeholder support compatible with Perl's DBD::Sybase. Help in this
area would be especially welcome.

Two new applications: bsqldb (a batch-oriented SQL shell) and defncopy
(to extract stored procedure text).

The internationalization features support more collations and better
error reporting. The Win32 port saw several important low-level fixes,
and has a better installer.

Many thanks to the developers, and to the folks who sent patches,
tested the release candidates, and found bugs. Because of them, FreeTDS
continues to grow in scope and quality.